Sunday, January 19, 2014

What to eat?

I've put together some more pictures and recipe reviews of things I've made recently.  See below:

1.  Fried Eggs with Sweet Potato Hash
Sweet potato hash is probably one of my new favorite things to make.  This recipe had sausage in it, which I wasn't a fan of; I think it was just the kind of sausage I bought though.  You know, Whole Foods has all that fancy sausage, and all I really wanted was one of those skinny little breakfast sausages like my mom used to make.  But I do like the rest of the hash.  Sweet potatoes are something I've just recently started to like, so I'm using them more recently, but sparingly.  I poached my eggs though because it's healthier and also I can't fry an egg to save my life.  (Strange, isn't it usually the other way around?)

2.  Oven-Braised Mexican Beef
This was the dinner Aaron and I liked the most so far.  It's SO tasty.  It's very simple, but mouth-wateringly good.  We are having it again tonight.  Aaron said the leftovers were good too.  I highly recommend this recipe even if you aren't going Paleo!  Also, wrapping things in lettuce leaves is probably one of my favorite changes I've made in this process.  I will probably do that to replace wraps and taco shells from now on.  We are having this for dinner tonight, and I'm so excited, because I'm making some of our favorite taco sauces from Truly Mexican to top it all off.

3.  Chicken Salad
I used Well Fed's recipe for Deli Tuna Salad and just used shredded chicken instead of tuna.  This recipe was SO GOOD.  My favorite chicken salad ever is at Hymie's in Bala Cynwyd, and this chicken salad gives Hymie's a run for its money.  As long as I can make this at home, I won't crave Hymie's!

4.  Cilantro Ginger Chicken Stir Fry
This recipe was pretty good.  We'll definitely make it again.  Normally when you see "stir fry" you expect that salty, meaty flavor from soy sauce, but this, instead, was very fresh-tasting.  Fresh and light and crisp.  One thing I would suggest is, if you make this, skip the "one bag of mini peppers" ingredient and just get yourself a couple of bell peppers.  The mini peppers are a pain in the ass to cut.

5.  Slow Cooker Beef Burgundy
This was a good recipe but there's a few things I'd change.  The vegetables don't need to be sauteed before adding to the crockpot.  And, it needs more vegetables.  Parsnips, a potato, something starchy.  Other than that, this stew has good flavor.

6.  Menemen
This was that breakfast dish I spit back out.  Wasn't a fan.  I didn't like the turmeric and I don't like cooked egg yolks.  However, maybe you like both of those things and this dish might be right up your alley.  If so, give it a go!

7.  Almond Flour Coconut Waffles
Yo.  Yum.  These were good.  Make them.

8.  Buffalo Chicken Salad
Just like my other chicken salad, only with more veggies and some buffalo sauce.  I used a bit too much mayonnaise in this recipe, the salad was a little too wet for me.  But the flavor was good, and I will make it again with less mayo and more hot sauce.

9.  Steak and Eggs Hash
I have been looking forward to this recipe since the planning stages.  Steak, potatoes, and runny eggs!  YUM!  I cut this recipe in half and it still made plenty for me and Aaron to share - I even only used one steak.  This recipe was good but the eggs cooked wrong for me.  Next time I think we need to turn the heat down lower, so the whites cook but the yolks don't.  We are trying this again this week, and we are changing the bell pepper to a poblano pepper, because poblano peppers are the best peppers in the universe.

10.  Turkey Crockpot Chili
Ahhh, this chili was so good!  Aaron was in love with this chili.  Chili, soups, and stews aren't always my favorite things to eat, but this had excellent flavor and tons of veggies.  We are making this one again this week too.

11.  Oven-Braised Shredded Pork
Very good, but next time we'll make our own pork rub.  Also, this made our house smell like onions and deliciousness.  This is an all-day endeavor; the recipe says to cook it overnight but we cooked it all day instead.  The sauce that you make at the end was also really delicious.

12.  Grain-Free Banana Muffins
In an effort to have something portable, snacky, and sweet around, I made these, and they were delicious.  You would never have known they were grain-free OR sugar-free.  They are fairly low-cal; I ate three for breakfast one day, and I don't think it topped 400 calories, and I was full till lunch.  This recipe is a keeper.

13.  Chocolate Chip Muffins
Hmmm.  Can we say dense?  I liked these, but they were very dense.  I am not sure if I did something wrong or not but as you can kind of see, they didn't change shape when cooking.  I scooped them out and plopped them into the muffin tin and they didn't sort of even out like a muffin.  The batter was very thick.  The flavor wasn't too bad, and they were highly filling, but they were not a light and fluffy muffin.

14.  Chipotle Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Okay, these were really good - but REALLY spicy.  I would make some changes next time - more lime juice, and a different pepper, like a poblano, because like I said, they are the best peppers in the universe.  I will definitely make this recipe again.

15.  Apple Pie Party In My Mouth
Ok this isn't really a recipe.  It's something I made up that turned out to be freaking delicious.  I read about Cracked Nut Butters and saw that they had a cinnamon roll flavor that I HAD TO HAVE.  So I got myself a jar on Amazon and as soon as it arrived, I ate a spoonful.  And I was in heaven.  And the first thing I wanted to do was spread it on an apple.  Which I did not have.  So I bought apples at the store, came home, spread this on them, and voila, Apple Pie Party In My Mouth was born.  There are other flavors too that I can't wait to try.  I am not above eating spoonfuls of nut butters to satisfy any of my sweet cravings.  You know, it's better than a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup... right?

16.  Chicken Chili
Oooo, this was a tasty chili too.  This recipe makes A LOT so I will have plenty for leftovers for myself and for Aaron.  I just used shredded chicken that I already had (every couple of weeks I will poach 4 chicken breasts in my slow cooker - cover with water or stock and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours - and shred, then freeze in portions) instead of buying a rotisserie chicken and shredding the whole thing.  There's zucchini in this.  And I ate it.  And I liked it.

17.  Olive Oil Mayonnaise
I just have to give a shout out to this mayonnaise.  This is Well Fed's recipe, and I've made it about 4 times now, and every single time, it turns out perfect.  This is the most consistent homemade mayo recipe I've come across.  Plus, it's delicious!  It is key to use extra light-tasting olive oil, as called for in the recipe.  Also, I don't bother with the blender - I make it with my stick blender, and the results are the same.


That's all for now folks.  Stay tuned.  I'm planning Paleo February at the moment, which will include easy weeknight meals that will hopefully be easier on my bank account.

No comments:

Post a Comment